Phlebotomy - A Fast Track to a Great Career!
Phlebotomists are an integral part of the healthcare team. Phlebotomists work in a variety of clinical settings, including hospital laboratories, outpatient laboratories, physician offices, and blood donor clinics. Phlebotomists collect blood samples for testing, research, donations, and transfusions. Students who successfully complete this 93 hour course are eligible to sit for the National Healthcareers Association Certification exam.
Course Description: Students will learn to follow universal precautions, tie tourniquets, identify veins, and demonstrate knowledge and use of equipment necessary for drawing blood. Students will be able to identify appropriate tubes and labels for tests, prep the site, and perform venipunctures and finger sticks.
Prerequisites for Phlebotomy:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Successful completion of BLS (Basic Life Support) for the Healthcare Provider.
- A Silver Level (Level 4) on the WIN Reading for Information test (test is free).
- WIN test is available at the SCC Tyger River Campus. Contact Christine Morris at 864-592-6190. WIN test also available at SC Works (864-764-1966) and Spartanburg Adult Education (864-706-4134).
- Students are exempt from taking the WIN test if they have an Associate's Degree or higher or: ACT (English: minimum score of 19), SAT before March 2016 (Critical Reading: minimum score of 480), SAT after March 2016 (Evidence Based Reading & Writing: minimum score of 510). Scores must be no more than 7 years old at the start of class.
- Complete a background check, 10 panel drug screen, and 2-step PPD. Proof of MMR, Tdap, Hepatitis B vaccine, and Varicella required. Influenza vaccine is required if attending clinical between October and March.
Contact Latasha Smith at (864) 592-6209 for class availability!
Start Date Campus Schedule May 2, 2022 Tyger River Click here for schedule
Cost: $1,225.00 - Includes textbook and NHA Certification Exam Fee. Textbook will be available in class.
American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) Clinical:
In this 100-hour course, students complete the clinical requirements to sit for the ASCP certification exam. Successful completion of the Spartanburg Community College Patient Care Technician Program or Phlebotomy Program is a prerequisite for this course.
Upcoming Classes:Start Date: Check back later for upcoming classes!