TRIO Student Support Services Has Your Back!
TRIO Student Support Services (TRIO SSS) is a federally funded program designed to help students stay in school, graduate with college degrees, and continue their education.
To help students succeed academically, TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) focuses on students individual learning needs. TRIO not only helps students succeed at the associate degree level but also offers a variety of transfer-related services to encourage students to further their education by transferring to four-year colleges and universities.
To help you reach your goals, TRIO SSS offers academic and career-related services such as:
- Tutoring One-on-one and group tutoring to help you learn and master course material.
- Personal counseling to assist you with personal, emotional or social issues that may interfere with your ability to reach your full potential in college.
- Assistance with academic needs Study skills workshops, one-on-one academic counseling and planning sessions help you develop your skills and plan for academic success.
- Assistance with career goals Career workshops and career counseling services help you research your career interests and develop valuable skills such as resume writing and job interviewing.
- Assistance with transfer planning TRIO SSS offers individualized transfer planning sessions, tours of nearby four-year colleges and workshops about the college transfer process.
- Financial/economic literacy services TRIO SSS provides workshops, referrals, a resource directory, connection to community providers and computer-based instruction to help you increase your understanding of personal finances and global economic issues.
- Peer mentoring Learn the ropes of being an SCC student from fellow successful and experienced TRIO SSS participants.
- Cultural activities TRIO SSS provides cultural activities each year to help you increase your cultural awareness.
- TRIO SSS Leadership Council Mentors new participants, provides a support system for other students, and encourages getting involved in community service (giving back), development of leadership skills from the student's perspective; and student involvement in coordinating leadership program events.
TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) has limited enrollment and students must meet certain eligibility criteria.
To be eligible for TRIO SSS, students must:
- Be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours in an associate degree program at SCC
- Be a U.S. citizen or eligible for federal student financial aid
- Be working on his or her first college degree AND
- Meet at least one of the following eligibility requirements:
- Be a first generation college student (neither parent has a four-year college degree or the custodial parent in a single-parent family does not have a four-year college degree) OR
- Currently live in an economically disadvantaged household (TRIO will help you determine if you meet this criteria) OR
- Have a documented disability verified by a licensed or certified professional (physician, LPC, LCSW, etc.).
Students must complete an application to be considered for participation in the TRIO Student Support Services Program. Applications may be obtained from the TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) office, (P. Dan Hull Building - E-44 of the East Building on the Giles campus) or download from our website, at https://www.sccsc.edu/trio-sss/. Completed applications can mailed to: Spartanburg Community College. TRIO Student Support Services, P.O. Box 4386, Spartanburg, SC 29305.
Once an application is submitted, TRIO staff will contact you to discuss your eligibility and the remaining steps in the application process.
The TRIO Student Support Services program is funded 100% through a federal TRIO grant by the U.S. Department of Education.