Over the last three decades, the cost of college tuition has more than tripled and student loan debt now represents a $1.75 trillion burden on the American economy. Through the "Live to Chase Initiative," SCC empowers our communities to Dream It, Chase it, and Live It by providing access to all the college’s more than 70 academic programs of study free of tuition in the 2023-2024 academic year.
WHO is eligible for free tuition at SCC?
- All college-eligible students who either live or work full-time in South Carolina and enroll in one of SCC’s more than 70 different programs of study that lead to the awarding of either a certificate or degree for a minimum of six credit hours are eligible for free tuition through SCC’s Live to Chase Initiative
- Students must maintain continuous enrollment (fall-spring, fall-spring) and a 2.2 GPA.
- Free tuition will not cover developmental courses after 30 or more attempted hours.
WHAT does the Live to Chase Initiative cover?
The Live to Chase Initiative:
- Covers tuition only for SCC academic (credit) program offerings so long as all eligibility requirements have been met (see above).
- Covers any remaining tuition balance after any financial aid grants and scholarships the student may have been awarded are applied.
- Does not cover books, supplies, fees, living expenses, etc. Students are responsible for any program-specific fees, including but not limited to: distance learning/hybrid distance learning fees, lab fees, and any other non-academic assessed fees.
HOW do I qualify for free tuition?
- Students must complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), provide the appropriate documents needed to complete steps to determine grant eligibility, and have exhausted all other grants, aid, scholarships, etc.
- Students in a current default or overpayment status with federal aid are not eligible for free tuition until their status is cleared.
- Assistance may include but is not limited to grants (Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant, S.C. Needs-Based Grant); and scholarships, SC Lottery Tuition Assistance Program (LTAP), etc.
- If you've already applied for the fall 2023 term, you do NOT need to reapply. Please be sure your 2023 FAFSA has been completed.