Admissions Residency FAQ

How long must I live in South Carolina before I can establish residency?

Under most circumstances, a person must live in South Carolina for 12 consecutive months to establish residency. Download the Residency Certification Form PDF, provide the requested information and submit to the SCC Admissions Office.

What kinds of documents establish intent to become a SC resident? 

  • Statement of full time employment (company letterhead indicating hire date, name of employee, status and if eligible for benefits)
  • Designating South Carolina as state of legal residence on military record
  • Possession of a valid South Carolina driver's license, or if a non driver, a South Carolina identification card. Failure to obtain this within 90 days of the establishment of the intent to become a South Carolina resident will delay the beginning date of residency eligibility.
  • Possession of a valid South Carolina vehicle registration card. Failure to obtain this within 45 days of the establishment of the intent to become a South Carolina resident will delay the beginning date of residency eligibility.
  • Maintenance of home in South Carolina; paying South Carolina income taxes as a resident during the past tax year, including income earned outside of South Carolina from the date South Carolina domicile was claimed
  • Ownership of principal residence in South Carolina; and
  • Licensing for professional practice (if applicable) in South Carolina.

*Please note that any single indicator may not be conclusive.

I am a member of the military. How does that affect my SC residency?

Members of the military permanently assigned in South Carolina on active duty and their dependents qualify under an exception category. Military members and their dependents may be charged in-state tuition and fees without having to establish a permanent home in South Carolina.
South Carolina residents who are members of the military stationed outside of South Carolina and their dependents may receive in-state tuition and fees if they continue to claim South Carolina as their state of legal residency. South Carolina residents who change their state of legal residence lose their South Carolina resident status for tuition and fee purposes.

My parents are divorced. How does that affect my residency?

If one of the following scenarios applies to your situation then you can claim South Carolina residency:

Joint custody and one parent is a South Carolina resident; or

Parent claims the child on income taxes; or

Parent who is South Carolina resident pays child support over the cost of attendance as dictated by the college.

What is the difference in applying for residency as dependent or independent?

If a parent, guardian, or spouse provided more than half of the student's support for the past 12 months, the student is considered dependent and it is the parent, guardian, or spouse that must meet the residency requirements. If the student provided the majority of support, then the student may be eligible to apply as independent. An independent student must have his/her own permanent home in South Carolina. Dormitory housing cannot be used as one's home, as it is temporary in nature.

Does owning property in South Carolina allow students to receive in-state tuition?

No. For independent students, owning property by itself does not allow students to receive in-state tuition, as the other requirements still must be met. For parents of dependent students, South Carolina must be the primary state of residence. Simply owning property is not sufficient.

If I have lived in South Carolina for more than one year, does that make me eligible for in-state tuition?

No. There is nothing automatic about residency. You must meet all of the requirements, submit a residency application, and be approved before you become eligible.

If I move here and live with relatives, does that make me eligible?

Not unless the relative has court-ordered guardianship and claims you on their taxes.

Am I eligible for residency if I use a South Carolina address on all of my records and legal documents?

You still must meet the other requirements. For admission, other factors are important, such as the source of transcripts and addresses of parents.

Can I use my on-campus apartment as my family's residence?

On-campus housing is considered temporary because you must be a student to live in it. As a result, you may not use on-campus housing to prove in-state residency.

Where do I submit an appeal if I do not agree with the institution's decision?

Students wishing to appeal a decision must follow the grievance procedures established by the college or university to which they apply.

Who do I contact if I need to verify I am a South Carolina resident for an out-of-state institution?

For more information about South Carolina residency, contact the SCC Admissions Center at: (864) 592-4800 or toll-free (866) 591-3700.

How do I request change of residency status? 

Download the Petition for Change of Residency Status PDF, provide the requested information and submit it to SCC Admissions Office.

Please note that the information provided is subject to change.