SC FFA Floriculture and Nursery/Landscape
South Carolina FFA: Future Farmers of America
Floriculture and Nursery/Landscape Career Development Events
FFA Contest Saturday, March 16, 2024
Floriculture CDE check in by 9:00am and Nursery & landscape CDE by 1:00pm, Check in is located in the SCC Health Science Building lobby
Problem Solving Team Event: 2011 Floriculture Practice Exam (PDF)
Floriculture Plant Identification List: Plant list (PDF)
- This is a list of 50 floriculture plants from which 25 live specimens will be given for proper identification. Some pictures are attached, therefore, this page may take a few minutes to load.
Floriculture Practicum - click on the link below for CDE information.
Nursery/Landscape Contest CDE Information:
- Written Test: Email Jason Gore for more information about this portion of the CDE
Problem Solving Team Event: Event overview 2011 Practice Exam (PDF)
Nursery/Landscape Plant Identification List: Nursery Identification (PDF)
- This is a list of 50 nursery plants from which 25 live specimens will be given for proper identification. Some pictures are attached, therefore, this page may take a few minutes to load.
Nursery/Landscape Pests and Disorders Identification: Pest Disorders (PDF)
- Participants will identify 10 Diseases and/or Disorders from the CDE approved list. These will be identified from pictures or specimens.
- Study sample photos from various sources of insect pests, diseases, weeds and physiological problems.
Nursery/Landscape Equipment and Supplies Identification: Equipment (PDF)
- Participants will identify 20 samples of either equipment or supplies used in the Nursery or Landscape business from the CDE approved list.
- The equipment or supplies may be from the design, implementation or care of the landscape.
- Additional equipment may be from the growing or sales of nursery plants.
- Be familiar with Nursery/Landscape Equipment and Supplies given on the approved list.
Floriculture & Nursery/Landscape Practicums
Pinching Plants: (Individual, 80 points)
Contestants will demonstrate the ability to properly perform a soft or hard pinch on an herbaceous greenhouse plant.
- Contestants should demonstrate the ability to properly evaluate the locations to properly pinch a plant for the purpose of controlling it’s vertical growth habit.
- Contestants should apply proper techniques when making a soft pinch.
- Contestants should be able to evaluate the overall effect of their pinch on the plant.
Floral Arrangement: (Team, 85 points)
Contestants will demonstrate the ability to properly arrange plant foliage and flowers to create a worthy retail floral arrangement.
- Contestants should be familiar with the suggested Design, Balance and Functionality suggested in the FFA CDE floriculture manual to properly design a retail floral arrangement.
Push Mower Maintenance: (Individual, 100 Points)
Contestants will demonstrate the ability to perform basic landscape equipment maintenance.
- Contestants will demonstrate the ability to evaluate the need and procedure for performing proper maintenance on common push mower equipment.
- Contestants should be familiar with (but not limited to) possible equipment maintenance needs, operation procedures, servicing procedures and basic equipment troubleshooting.