Withdrawl and Return of Financial Aid

We understand life happens and, for whatever reason, you may have to withdraw from SCC. So what happens now?

Official term withdrawal is defined as a student's formal notification of his or her intent to withdraw from all courses for a term. Your withdrawal date is defined as the actual date you submits information to Student Records to drop a course or courses. To officially withdraw from a course or courses, you must provide official notice to Student Records electronically or in person.

If you are a federal financial aid recipient who does not officially withdraw from a term, you will be considered to be withdrawn if you do not complete all required days within a payment period or you abandon all courses. The last day of academic attendance or attendance at an academically-related activity will be used for calculating the amount of aid to be returned to the federal government and you will not be eligible for a refund based on the college's refund policy.

You are not considered to be withdrawn from a term if at the time the you drop the last class in a term, you submit written confirmation stating you'll attend a later start term in the same payment period (semester).

Your federal financial aid eligibility must be recalculated if you withdraw, drop out, are dismissed, or take a leave of absence prior to completing 60% of a term. Federal financial aid includes the federal Pell Grant, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), and Direct Loans. Institutional costs include tuition, fees, and charges made at the Book Inn using federal financial aid. A student enrolled in at least one class during the full term will have the recalculation for all classes based on the date for the full term.

The recalculation of eligibility is based on the percent of earned aid using the following formula:

Percent of earned aid = number of calendar days completed in term
                                              Total number of calendar days in term

Federal financial aid must be returned to the federal government based on the percent of unearned aid using the following formula: Aid to be returned = percentage of aid earned X amount of federal financial aid disbursed.

The amount of aid to be returned is the responsibility of the college and the student. You will be responsible for repaying the college for the amount that the college was required to return on your behalf, less any refund for which the student is eligible. A student who does not complete at least 60% of a term will owe a repayment to the college and/or the federal government for the amount of unearned federal financial aid.

You will not be allowed to register for a subsequent term or obtain an official academic transcript until debts has been paid. Payment should be made to the Business Office. If you owe the federal government, you may be reported to the U.S. Department of Education and be required to provide documentation of a satisfactory payment arrangement before federal or state financial aid eligibility is restored.

See the dates that mark the 60% point of each term under important dates.