Adult Leaners, SCC Wants YOU!
You're never "too old" to learn something new, and our student body proves that! In
fact, 35% of SCC students are over the age of 24! Adult learners are typically defined
as learners over the age of 25, and are often referred to as non-traditional students.
Yet for almost two decades, adult learners have comprised close to 40 percent of the
college-going population, spanning a range of backgrounds and experiences, from Iraq
and Afghanistan war veterans and GED credential holders, to professionals and skilled
workers in career transition in their fifties according to the American Council on
- Want to begin a degree, diploma or certificate program at SCC? Start here.
- If you'd like to take college credit classes, but not complete a degree, certificate
or diploma program, start here.
- Need non-credit career training, professional development or personal development
classes (also known as continuing education)? Start here.
- SCC Support Services include academic support and assistance finding a job upon graduation for adult learners.
Adult Learner Testimonials
Learn From Each Other
"There is definitely a sense of community here among the students that I really wasn't
expecting. The younger students are interested in, and learn from, the older students'
life experiences. And, I've got to tell you that I have learned a lot from them, too."
- Violet Floyd, SCC Business Management graduate
The Support You Need
"At 50 years old, I had been out of school for over 20 years. It was a little tough
and I admit I was scared, but once I got started I found there were a lot of people
here that gave me the support I needed."
- David Burdette, SCC Mechatronics Technology Graduate