Anti-Virus Information: How to Protect Your Computer from Viruses
You're going to need a functioning computer for almost everything you do at SCC, so you need to make sure it's protected from viruses. Microsoft Windows 8.1 thru 10 come with Windows Defender included but may need activiation. Check these free anti-malware protection options:
The best protection against viruses and other malware infections starts with the basic rules:
- Make sure your virus protection and your Windows updates are current.
- If borrowing or using someone else's removable storage media, make sure to scan the drive before opening it.
- Only open attachments or emails from people you know and expect to receive emails or attachments from.
- Save attachments to a temporary location and scan them before opening.
- Read carefully before you click.
- Mouse over any links to see the actual address and make sure it's legitimate before clicking.
The SCC IT Department has technicians at four of our campuses. If you need some one-on-one assistance, our technicians are available during these hours:
SCC Giles Campus
Ledbetter Building, Suite 110, (864) 592-4682
SCC Downtown Campus
Evans Academic Center, 1st Floor, Room 180
SCC Cherokee County Campus
L. Hoke Parris Building, Room 210
SCC Tyger River Campus
Tyger River Building, Room 326